FAQ about Siberian Huskies
Because of the many different questions about Siberians, we have added an index
to help sort things out a bit. For example, if you have a question about "eyes",
just hit E, and you should find eyes under that heading. This list is under construction,
so keep checking back.
- Alpha Dog; is the dog which will assert itself on other dogs. It's the leader of
the pack. Other dogs may challenge it and thus fight.
- Bitch; Like in all other breeds, bitch is used to denote the female Siberian.
- Coat; Siberians have 2 coats of hair. The undercoat is softer hair and is what
gets all over everything when the Siberian sheds (normally twice a year). There is an
"undercoat rake" which helps a lot when it is shedding time. It should also be
noted that there are two altogether different coats to a Siberian. The medium to long coat
and the short coat. The long coat (or wooly - courser texture, very long coat) is really
- Colors; Siberians come in many colors and combinations of colors. Black, White,
Copper, Red, and Gray are the predominate colors and any combination of those, including
pinto (piebald) and pure white. Coat colors may change as the puppies mature. From light
to dark or vise-versa. If you need more information about colors please visit the NEW! "Colors of the
Siberian Husky" page.
- Dewclaws; Are extra claws located on the inside of the four legs. The rear
dewclaws are usually removed 3 to 6 days of age because of the danger of tearing one of
them off and injuring the dog.
- Dumb; Siberians are not that! In fact their cunningness sometimes even
fools their owners into getting what they want.
- Escape Artists; Siberians are that!
- Eyes; Siberians have many different eye colors, blue and brown are the most
common. Split eye, is an eye with two colors, again normally blue and brown. It is not
uncommon for a Siberian to have one blue eye and one brown eye. Green and gold colored
eyes are not uncommon.
- Fun! Siberians are that!
- Fun Match; These matches are not AKC pointed, usually sponsored by a club,
sometimes offering prizes, but just to have a good time.
- Gee; Right turn command.
- Gestation; Is the time the bitch carries her puppies, normally 63 days.
- Handsome; Siberians are that!
- Haw; Left turn command.
- Inbreeding; The mating of closely related dogs, as in brother to sister.
- Intelligent; Siberians are that!
- Jaundice; When an excess of bile pigment is released into the blood, a yellowish
staining of the skin and mucous membranes results. It is a symptom rather than a disease.
- Kute; Siberians are that! So much for typo's.
- Leptospirosis; Is a disease caused by a bacteria called spirochete. Spirochetes
enter a dog's system through a break in the skin or when he drinks or eats food
contaminated by infected urine. It is extremely advisable to vaccinate your animals and
follow with normal booster shots.
- Lovable; Siberians are that.
Mange is caused by a little critter called a mite. Scabies (Sarcoptic Mange) is more
common and will cause your dog to scratch and bite at himself with great intensity. All of
this is due to the female mite digging under the skin to lay her eggs. When the eggs hatch
(3 to 10 days) the cycle starts again. The entire cycle only takes about 17 to 21 days.
Cheyletiella Mange (Walking Dandruff) is caused by a reddish mite (mostly on puppies) that
can be found by examining the head, neck, and back for a heavy dandruff. This critter
causes mild itching but is highly contagious.
Demodectic Mange is also caused by a mite but there is no itching, just hair loss. In
advanced cases the skin breaks down to form sores, and crusts. If you notice hair lost you
should have your dog checked.
Siberians have many different masks or shading on the fore face. Or they may have no
mask at all as in a white Siberian. Some examples are capped, cloverleaf, spectacles,
blaze, lined, or any combination of those.
- Nose coloration;
Pigment can be liver, black or combination which is known as snow nose.
- Overshot bite;
The front teeth on top overlap the front teeth on the lower jaw.
- Puppy Class;
In shows, the classes are 6-9 months of age, 9-12 months of age and 12-18 months of
Hind legs as a pair.
Dog Sled racing is fun!
Many sites on the web have much information or just try: The Iditarod!
- Sneaky; Siberians can be that!
- Split Eye; See eyes.
- Standards; The characteristics by which a dog is judged in a show ring.
- Tapeworm; One of may types of worms requiring medication to expel them.
- Teeth; Yes, like our children, Siberian puppies loose them too!.
- Undershot; The front teeth of the lower jaw project beyond the front teeth of the
- Vim and Vigor; Not lacking in Siberians!
- Whelp; To produce a litter.
- Worms; Proper medication to control worms is essential, as well as cleanliness of
the kennels and their surroundings.
- X ray; Used to discover hip dysplasia.
- Yogurt; Will help to replace enzymes in the stomach to help control diahrea and
soothe an upset stomach.
- Zippy; Huskies are indeed that!
for Me?|Home|History|Rescue|E-Mail Us!
Copyright 2015 Homestead Siberians